Spring Farm Alpacas now offers alpaca (and llama) walking around our beautiful farm in East Sussex. Situated in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Spring Farm is superbly located adjacent to the Ashdown Forest, Bluebell Railway, Sheffield Park and the historic village of Fletching. Alpaca walking is huge fun for everyone – not just our alpacas! Alpacas are delightful and friendly animals and ours all know their names. Everybody who comes to our farm for an alpaca trek comments on how relaxing our alpacas are to be around.
With their inquisitive nature, they are great fun to take for a walk and are certain to put a smile on your face! After a short introduction to us and our farm, we will introduce you to our alpaca and llama family. We will then halter up our walking alpaca team (we normally take a llama as well - let us know if you would rather not walk a llama - but be aware they are gentle giants and Eron loves a back scratch) and set off for a casual walk around our 110 acre farm. During the walk, we will tell you a little about alpacas, their history, their stunning fleece and farming on Spring Farm. Spring Farm has been managed within Countryside Stewardship for the last 17 years and we will tell you about farming in a wildlife friendly way and hopefully spot some of the wildlife we have encouraged to thrive here – a UK alpaca and wildlife safari!
We expect the walk to last about 50 minutes and it is across undulating fields all within our boundaries – so you should not encounter any unexpected surprises. The distance we cover is about a mile. Allowing for the brief introduction and paying your walking alpaca (in carrots which are provided ready chopped!) you should allow about two hours for the experience. For more details about our walks, our walking alpacas blog and more, please see: www.alpacawalking.co.uk
PRICES & BOOKING
£25 per alpaca plus £10 per accompanying person not walking an alpaca (including VAT). Please note: Under normal circumstances (and unless previously agreed) we ask for a maximum of one person accompanying for every alpaca walker.
We ask for a 50% non-refundable deposit in advance
All walks must be pre-booked and are available every day of the week. Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about our alpaca walking and to register your interest.
It is important at the time of booking that we know if any of those walking have any health limitations or health issues that we should be aware of. Where possible, we are very happy to modify the walk or distance in a way that accommodates any health concerns.
- Walking an alpaca allows you to walk YOUR VERY OWN ALPACA for the entirety of the walk.
- Accompanying a walker entitles you to walk alongside an alpaca walker but not to walk an alpaca yourself.
- Alpacas are herd animals so a minimum of 2 alpacas must be booked for each walk. We can cater for up to 10 walking alpacas on any given walk.
- We often take a llama on the walk as well as the alpacas. If you would rather not walk a llama please let us know - but be aware, they are gentle giants and in Eron's case, he loves having his back scratched!
- Walks start from the farm yard at about midday, we ask that you arrive about ten minutes prior so we can be good to go at midday. We are not an “open farm” and can only offer alpaca walks by prior arrangement. If you would like us to recommend local places to meet for a coffee/drinks or lunch beforehand/afterwards – please let us know and we would be happy to help.
- Children must be over 12 years old to walk an alpaca on their own, although children aged 8 to 12 may accompany the walk providing that each child is accompanied by an adult.
- Our farm is on clay so sensible footwear is a must (wellies or walking boots).
- Clothing should be appropriate for the conditions but avoid really bright colours or anything that might flap.
- We have strict bio-security so we will ask you to dip your footwear on arrival.
- Our alpacas are not used to dogs so we have a strict no dog policy on the farm or walk.
- Bad weather: alpacas are like us and won’t be happy to walk in bad weather. If we cancel for bad weather or unforeseen circumstances, we will offer a refund or rebook at a suitable time thereafter.
- We can cater for educational visits, hen parties or special events – please contact us for details.